William McBurney 2,48
- Born: 8 Oct 1870, Teeswater, Bruce, Ontario, Canada 2,48,62
- Marriage: Rose Roberts on 24 Dec 1902 in Winnipeg, , Manitoba, Canada 1,2,48
- Died: 5 Dec 1941, Gull Lake, , Saskatchewan, Canada at age 71 2,48
- Buried: 9 Dec 1941, Gull Lake, , Saskatchewan, Canada 2
William was the first child of Richard and Priscilla. He made his trade as a carpenter and in 1903 married Rose Roberts. In 1911, when he was 41, he moved to Gull Lake, Saskatchewan. He was often referred to as "Big Will" or "Big Bill". His death was brought on by a heart attack.
From the obituary:
Mr. McBurney was born at Teeswater, Ontario, October 8th, 1870. In 1893, he went to Manitoba, where he farmed and followed his trade as carpenter and contractor. In 1911, (when he was 41), he came to Gull Lake, where he took up residence and continued his trade of carpentering. In teh year of 1903, he was married to Miss Rose Roberts in Winnipeg, five children, two sons and three daughters being born of this union. They are as follows: Sgt. Lorance McBurney, RCAF, Camp Borden; Bert McBurney, RCAF, Trenton, Ontario; Mrs. Tim Nelson, Vermillion, Alberta: Mrs. Howard Hastings, Petawawa, Ontario. 2,48
A kind husband and father and a highly respected citizen of the town of Gull Lake, passed away at the Union Hospital, on Saturday morning, December 6, after having been admitted as a patient about a week previous. He had been in poor health for the past six months.
The local Loyal Orange Lodge of which Mr. McBurney was a past master, had charge of the funeral service which was held on Tuesday afternoon, December 9th, at the hour of 2:30 in the United Church, the Rev. W. E. Bannerman officiating. William McBurney was a charter member of the Black Knight of the Red Cross Degree.
Internment took place in the Gull Lake Cemetery, those carrying him to his last resting place being Wilbur George, A. Graham, H. Erwin, John Frook, R Cann and Eber Anderson. His sons Lorance and Bert , both in the RCAF (Royal Canadian Airforce) in Ontario, Mrs. Lorance McBurney of Saskatoon, and Mrs. Tim Nelson of Vermillion, four brothers, John A. McBurney of Admiral, Sask., Richard A. Arthur H. and Russell McBurney of Souris, Manitoba and Mrs. G. Douglas, and Mrs. T. A. Jackson (sisters) also of Souris, Manitoba were present for the funeral service arriving on Monday.
Mrs. T. Hill of Teeswater, Ontario, and Mrs. R. A. Smith of Merritt, B. C. (sisters) were unable to attend.
According to Eileen Mills, mother to Kim Mills, William's death had been brought on by a heart attack.
Noted events in his life were:
• 1871 Census of Canada, 2 Apr 1871, , Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada. 65 Ontario, Bruce Co., Kinloss Twp., p. 76, lines 7-10, household 267;
William, age 6 months, with father Richard, age 32, mother Priscilla, age 25, with Arthur Atkinson, age 45 from Ireland.
• 1881 Census of Canada, 4 Apr 1881, , Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada. 53 Ontario, Bruce Co., Kinloss Twp., p. 20, lines 24-25, p. 21, lines 1-6, household 94;
William, age 11, with father Richard, age 42, mother Priscilla, age 31, and siblings Robert, age 9, Eliza Matilda, age 7, John Albert, age 5, Richard James, age 4, and Mary Jane, age 2.
• Religion: C. Presbyterian, 4 Apr 1881, , Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada. 53
• 1891 Census of Canada, 18 May 1891, , Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada. 54 Ontario, Bruce Co., Kinloss Twp., p. 70, lines 18-25, p. 71, lines 1-4, household 292;
William, age 20, with father Richard, age 52, mother Priscilla, age 40, and siblings Robert, age 19, Eliza, age 17, John, age 15, Richard, age 13, Mary, age 11, Annie, age 9, Adeline, age 7, Arthur, age 4, and Herbert, age 2.
• 1906 Census of Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta): Sec. 18, Twp. 7, Rge. 22, W1, 25 Jun 1906, Brandon, , Manitoba, Canada. 67 Manitoba, Brandon Dist., Glenwood Mun., p. 2, lines 36-40, p. 3, lines 1-7, household 19;
William, age 35, with father Richard, age 60, mother Priscilla, age 50, and siblings Robert P., age 33, Richard J., age 27, Josephine, age 23, Arthur, age 19, and Russell, age 17, William's wife Rose, age 25, William & Rose's children Ruth, age 7, and Lawrance, age 2, and boarder Arthur Black, age 13.
• 1911 Census of Canada, 1911, Gull Lake, , Saskatchewan, Canada. 82 Saskatchewan, Moose Jaw Dist, Maple Creek Mun., Gull Lake, p. 12, lines 9-13, household 169;
William, age 40, with wife Rose, age 30, and children Ruth, age 7, Arthur, age 6, and Audrey, age 1.
• 1916 Census of Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta), 1916, Gull Lake, , Saskatchewan, Canada. 83 Saskatchewan, Gull Lake, p. 7, lines 1-7, household 65;
William, age 45, with wife Rose, age 35, and children Ruth, age 12, Lawrence, age 10, Audrey, age 5, Alma, age 3, and Wilbert, age 1.
• Border Crossing: from Canada to the USA, 2 Jul 1937, Porthill, Boundary, Idaho, United States. with son Wilbert. Wilbert is described as 5' 10",medium complexion, Brown hair, Blue eyes. William gave his birthplace as Walkerton, Ontario. William is shown as 5' 9", medium complexion, black hair, blue eyes. Their destination is unclear but shows "Transit 3 days".
• Cemetery: Gull Lake Cemetery, 9 Dec 1941, Gull Lake, , Saskatchewan, Canada. 2
William married Rose Roberts, daughter of Rubin Roberts and Unknown, on 24 Dec 1902 in Winnipeg, , Manitoba, Canada 1,2.,48 (Rose Roberts was born on 25 Oct 1881 in Gretna Green, , Scotland, United Kingdom 2,48,84 and died on 4 Jul 1960 2,48.)